Tuesday, July 14, 2009

New Pet

We've had a chipmunk in our yard (at least one, probably more) since we moved in last year. S/he is pretty darn cute, and has a series of entrances and exits to his/her den right near our back door.

This evening Margot said, "I've been meaning to tell you, Mama, that I've been leaving presents for my chipmunk and he's been taking them. Sometimes I leave him some moss, sometimes a little nut that I find in the yard, sometimes a little stick. The next morning, my presents are always gone. He must take them down into the nest."

This made me smile - the notion of Margot having a secret pet. It also makes me happy that she enjoys animals as much as I do.

That said, her chipmunk(s) must be astounded at their good fortune of late! Free bedding, free food, free...well, I'm not sure what they use the twigs for. Bracing their tunnels?

No comments: