Saturday, August 12, 2006

Happy Hour

For the past week, Min has marked the five o'clock hour with a sprint to the kitchen and a demand for cookies.

I don't quite understand the sounds she uses to say "Cookies" (I think it starts with a "D" and it's two-syllables) but her emphatic pointing at the cabinet where the cookies reside make her wishes clear. I comply with two or three overpriced organic Sesame Street cookies that I picked up at Whole Foods.



(Side note - Whole Foods is only a few blocks from our home. Min and I have ducked in so many times for samples while we are out walking that she now insists "Cheese, cheese!" whenever we pass by.)

What interests me about Min's love of sweets is that it occurs at the same time each day. I can't figure out what sparked this, seeing as I never offer cookies without her requesting them. What is going on in the house that sends her to the kitchen in the same fifteen minute period each day? How does she measure time?

Is she Sumerian ? (60 seconds per minute, 60 minutes per hour?)
Or is she more like Schopenhauer, who stated that "Time is the condition [yelling, pointing at the cabinet] of the possibility of succession [cookies will be removed and distributed] ."

(Or could it be that by 5:00 *I* need distraction, and so occasionally turn on the television?)

No comments: