Tuesday, October 31, 2006

En Francais, s'il vous plait

"What's that?" "What's that?" "What's that?"

If you spend a day (or an hour) with Margot, you know that she's forever asking the names of things. She'll go on a spree, pointing to the minute details of something and asking "What's that?"

For example:
Margot: "What's that?"
Me: "That's a telephone wire."
Margot (a moment later): "What's that?"
Me: "That? That's, uh, a crack in the sidewalk."
Margot (three seconds later): "What's that?"
Me: "That's the sign that says 'two hour parking'."

You get the idea.

One million "What's that?"s a day can really get to you after a while. (Although, I'm sure I will long to hear "What's that?" when Margot reaches the "Why?" stage.) I've been trying to teach her something new to say as a replacement for "What's that?" (and squeeze a French lesson in at the same time): Qu'est ce que c'est?

She doesn't get it yet. But she does blow me kisses whenever I correct her "What's that?" with a "Qu'est ce que c'est?"

I guess what she hears is 'kiss que c'est.'

No comments: