Monday, January 01, 2007

Min's Birthday Extravaganza

While it's almost been a week since Margot's birthday party, I have been so busy I haven't been able to post photos from her birthday party. Today (January 5) I was up in Vermont for work, and on the two-hour drive back to the airport in Manchester, NH, I thought about how I needed to update this site. When I arrived at the airport, my the departures board said my flight would be delayed four hours (!). So it looks like I finally have the time to post some party pictures. (Thank goodness the Manchester airport has a free wireless Internet connection, or I don't know what I'd do!)

To put it simply, Margot LOVED her birthday party. She loved running around, she loved the excitement, she loved wearing her party dress, she loved opening presents and she especially loved the 30 seconds of group singing before she blew out her candle.




Did you note the Curious George birthday cake? It was a hit.

Following her party, Margot requested the singing of Happy Birthday and blowing out a candle no fewer than 40,000 times.

Brodie and I served sushi for the adults and homemade macaroni and cheese for the kids (not Kraft mac and cheese, the real deal). Margot has reached the toddler 'dipping' stage, and thoroughly enjoyed dipping crackers and apple slices in the soy sauce that was intended for sushi dipping.



I did learn a few lessons from this party, which is the first kid's party I've ever hosted. First, five kids under the age of five years is plenty (they were all exceptionally behaved, but I'm glad it wasn't a zoo). Second, 1:00 - 3:00 pm is a poor time for a child's birthday party (a lot of kids missed their naps). Third, the adults are going to eat the mac and cheese intended for the children, so I should make two trays in the future. Fourth, allowing Margot to dive into her entire pile of birthday presents at once is not a good idea, as I am now very confused about which gifts came from whom (she tossed cards and wrapping paper everywhere, and tore gifts open faster than I could write the item down). And last but not least, scheduling a birthday party during a football party is a good idea, since it gives the husbands/fathers/male attendees something to do while the tots run around (unfortunately, Navy lost but I don't think the kids heard too much profanity).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Navy should know better than to play B C for their big game! It was a great contest though - Pequod

Anonymous said...

You served SUSHI at a football party? No wonder they hit the mac and cheese