Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Historical? Hysterical!

Margot and I stood in the kitchen this afternoon and discussed a book project she wants to work on. It involves writing and illustrating a story and then sending it off to be "published." (A very clever gift from her Williamsburg cousins!) Ever the writing instructor, I am encouraging her to make an outline of her story and to then fill in the pages so that it is logical. Margot agrees this is a reasonable process.

"What do you want to write about?" I asked her.

"I don't know, can you give me some ideas?" she replied.

"Well, why not write a story about going to Fort Lewis or Lake Anna?" I asked her.

"Well, I wanted to write a fictional story, but I suppose I could write a non-fiction story about Lake Anna," she mused.

"It can still be fiction," I assured her. "You can use a real place as a setting and still make up different characters or things that haven't really happened."

"Can you give me an example?"

"Sure. Like historical fiction. Stories that take place during a certain time period but the characters never really lived."

"I love historical fiction!" Margot burst out. "And then my story will be really, really funny, too!"

She STILL makes me laugh every day. (In case it isn't clear, she mixed up the words historical and hysterical.)

Hysterical fiction: look for it in a bookstore near you.

No comments: